The new Laurier Brantford YMCA provides for the health, fitness, social and recreation needs for residents of Brantford, Brant County and Six Nations, the post-secondary institutions in the community, as well as visitors.
The bright and spacious facility, located on the south side of Colborne Street, opposite Harmony Square has a distinctive design allowing for a magnificent view across the nearby Grand River.
The new building is made possible thanks to a partnership between Wilfrid Laurier University and the YMCA of Hamilton|Burlington|Brantford, with funding from the City of Brantford, provincial and federal governments, Laurier Students' Union and private donors.
A look inside...
- Aquatics Centre with two tank pool for lane swimming, swim lessons, aquatic fitness and therapy, plus an on-deck hot tub for teaching, fitness, therapy and leisure
- 5 inclusive member change rooms which include Family/Special Needs, Adult General Male and Female, and Adult-Only Male and Female changerooms plus 4 team change rooms for Laurier Athletics and other special events
- Tokens available at the Membership desk of Laurier Brantford YMCA for up to 2 hours of parking in the Market Centre Parkade
- Child Minding to care for your children while you work on your health and fitness
- Youth Zone for recreational, social and leadership development programs
- Double gym designed for sports and competition with retractable stadium seating for 860 people plus taping and First Aid Room for event athletic therapists
- Single gym for drop-in sports and larger programs
- Fitness Centre with state-of-the-art stretching, small group training, cable machines and cardio equipment with wifi capabilities for fitness programs and access to apps such as Spotify and Netflix
- Health intake consultation rooms for specialized community-based health care programs in partnership with Hamilton Health Sciences and Brant Community Healthcare System
- Three studios for a large variety of group fitness classes, Cycle Fit and dance
- Multi-purpose spaces for social, educational and cultural programming
- 3,498 square foot strength area for strength equipment, pin loaded and free weights (2.5 to 100 lbs)
- Student Lounge for group work and socialization
429,001 artifacts were unearthed at the site from as far back as 500 BCE to the 21st century.