- Hamilton, Ontario and Burlington, Ontario
- Type of Position:
- Part Time
- Job Level:
- Level 9 (starting at $17.25 per hour, plus a $2.00/hour Provincial wage enhancement)
- Placement Date:
Positions available in Hamilton and Burlington School Age Child Care Centres
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. By nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, the YMCA connects people to life-building opportunities, to each other and enhances their quality of life. We foster social responsibility and healthy living. The YMCA works collectively with community partners that share the YMCA’s determination in strengthening the foundations of community for all people
This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values of: Belonging, Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility, as well as, a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults. All offers of employment will be subject to the provision that the successful incumbent provides the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford with a current and satisfactory Police Records Check. Positions responsible for the direct supervision of children and/or vulnerable persons will be required, in addition to a Police Records Check, to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening Report at the time of hire.
Nature & Scope:
The Child Care Supply Educators will work on an as needed basis and will assist centre teams in the implementation and delivery of quality play-based licensed child care programs that meets the developmental needs of children 0 - 12 years of age, while adhering to the YMCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act. The Child Care Supply Educators are responsible for the supervision of children at all times during program to ensure the health and safety needs of all are met.
Since programs may take place in a shared space, incumbents must have excellent interpersonal skills in order to maintain and foster strong and positive relationships with school personnel, parents and other educators to promote the delivery of high quality child care services within the community.
- This position requires the ability and flexibility to work a flexible schedule including early mornings and late afternoons. Hours of work may fluctuate to meet the operational needs of the department
- Some program areas may be based out of shared spaces within community schools, therefore, requiring movement/set up of equipment on a daily/weekly/ monthly basis
- Must be familiar with the developmental needs of children ranging from ages 0 to 12 years
- Assist in planning, organizing, and leading activities for children 0 to 12 years of age to meet the developmental needs of children. Program numbers range from 10 to 90 children in attendance
- Ensure the health and safety of the children is maintained at all times; Must have knowledge of potential hazards and the ability to put a preventative plan in place
- Utilize appropriate behaviour guidance techniques in all interaction with the children;
- Required to assume leadership in the absence of the supervisor;
- Child Care Supply Educators are not guaranteed shifts but are expected to be available for a minimum of two days a week
- Required to maintain ongoing communication with their coach in order to be scheduled and/or receive shifts from regular part time educators
- Completion of High School education or equivalent
- A minimum of one year work/volunteer experience with children/youth
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C & AED certification (Level C)
- 18 years of age or older
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Working Computer knowledge
- Clear Police Records Check/Vulnerable Sector Screening as a condition of employment
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the Mission, Vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Child & Youth Focused
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth
Planning and Organization
Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term work goals.
Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the YMCA.
Relationship building and collaboration
Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
Creativity and Innovation
Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve desired results.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is an equal opportunity employer.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford encourages employees within the Association, as well as those employed within the Canadian YMCA/YMCA-YWCA Federation to submit their application.
Please note that in so doing, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford reserves the right to contact the applicable YMCA or YMCA-YWCA for purposes of seeking an employment reference throughout the recruitment process.
Please ensure that prior to submitting your application that you have disclosed to your current supervisor, your intention to submit your application. By submitting your application, you understand and agree to allow the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford to contact your current Association.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume along with documentation to verify completion of (or in process of completing) Standard First Aid with CPR-C attention:
* Please indicate position and region (Hamilton, Burlington, or Brantford) you applying for in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.