An Important Update About Wanakita Summer Programs
Issued: May 14, 2020

Dear Campers…

I hope this letter finds you and your families well, safe and healthy. And I hope that among the challenges that the current pandemic situation has brought, that you've also found opportunities to embrace an old hobby, build a new skill and connect with others in different ways as we all practice physical distancing. It is these connections to our self and others that are so vital to our overall well-being.

We know Wanakita is an important place for you to build these connections. We've received many questions about whether summer programs will be impacted by government and public health direction, physical distancing measures and more.

Our number one priority in delivering camp programs has always been the health, safety and protection of our campers, staff and volunteers and COVID-19 has raised many questions and uncertainties about how to deliver programs safely this summer in a camp environment.

I'm saddened to share that we've made the difficult decision to cancel all YMCA Wanakita programs for Summer 2020.

This will be the first summer ever in our 67 year history that Wanakita and Koshlong Lake will not come alive with campers. We know this news will be hard for many of you, your children and families, who live for their Wanakita summer. We feel it too.

However, we will not operate camp programs if we cannot be confident that we can ensure the health of our campers and staff.

We know camp can be a significant investment for families each year and to that end, we'd like to provide you with some options for your fees paid to date. You can read more about each option at the link below. The simplest thing we can do to get you ready for our 2021 season is to carry your fees forward as a credit so that all you need to do is finalize your 2021 registration. Should you choose to carry your fees forward, you will receive Priority Registration between June 8 - July 8, 2020.



It's with our heartfelt thanks for your understanding and patience as we've worked through this situation. We know it's not the outcome anyone hoped but it is the reality that we are living in at this time. We cannot wait to see you again on the shores of Koshlong. Be well.

Yours in camping,

Andy Gruppe
General Manager, YMCA Wanakita
COVID-19 - An Update to our YMCA Camp Families
Issued: April 2, 2020

Dear Campers…

Staying connected to Wanakita families is vitally important to the YMCA particularly during this challenging time.

Further to our communication last week, I wanted to provide a short update from camp as the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve.

We continue to plan and prepare for an amazing camp season this summer.

To help support families, we have decided to put a hold on the upcoming payment scheduled to be processed on April 30th. We know there are many uncertainties for families right now and we do not want your next camp payment to be one of them.

We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely and make decisions based on advice and guidance from Canadian health authorities. At this point, all April payments will be deferred to May 15th . We expect we’ll have a better understanding of how we’ll proceed with summer camp season at that point.
 
We will continue to keep families posted and want to thank each of you for the expressions of support and well wishes you’ve shared with the Wanakita team. For those who’ve inquired about additional opportunities to support the YMCA, please visit ymcahbb.ca/donate.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely,

Andy Gruppe
General Manager, YMCA Wanakita

COVID-19 - Letter to our YMCA Camp Families
Issued: March 25, 2020

Dear Campers...

As an important part of our camp family, I want to share an update with you on how we at YMCA Wanakita are responding to COVID-19 and the impact on camp programs.

The safety, health and well-being of our campers, families, staff and volunteers is always our top priority. We are in close contact with our local public health and continue to follow the advice of public health authorities as the situation continues to evolve. For the time being, we have temporarily closed camp and cancelled spring programs.

We know how much all of you, our staff, volunteers and campers, look forward to the summer months when you call YMCA Wanakita your second home. We want to assure you that we are still preparing and planning for a wonderful summer camp season and we truly can't wait for that time when we can all be together.

We will continue to monitor the situation and take decisive actions to protect our community and help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and are committed to keeping you informed.

For more information and updates, on how we're responding to COVID-19 at the YMCA of Hamilton|Burlington|Brantford, please visit: YMCAHBB.CA/COVID-19 or contact us at camp at wanakita@ymcahbb.ca.

Thank you for your ongoing support of YMCA Wanakita. We must look after each other during these challenging times as a true camp family does.

Sincerely,

Andy Gruppe
General Manager, YMCA Wanakita