- All School Age Child Care Locations
- Type of Position:
- Job Level:
- Level 9
- Placement Date:
Why Work for the YMCA?
As a charitable organization, the YMCA values the contributions of its diverse teams. We recognize the importance of providing meaningful opportunities that allow employees to grow and thrive. At the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford, in addition to fair wages, we offer a complimentary general membership with additional options for family participation. A comprehensive benefits program is also available to employees including a competitive and robust pension program. YMCA Employees enjoy a generous vacation entitlement that increases with seniority, as well as other paid entitlements. All employees have access to an Employee Assistance Program which provides confidential counseling and referral services as well as preventative education. Additionally, the YMCA understands the holistic needs of its employees is equally important and attempts to support these goals by offering a variety of staff discounts on the programs and services that support good health and strong families. We look forward to welcoming you to the YMCA.
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. By nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, the YMCA connects people to life-building opportunities, to each other and enhances their quality of life. We foster social responsibility and healthy living. The YMCA works collectively with community partners that share the YMCA's determination in strengthening the foundations of community for all people.
This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values of: Responsibility, Honesty, Caring, and Respect, as well as, a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults. All offers of employment will be subject to the provision that the successful incumbent provides the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford with a current and satisfactory Police Records Check. Positions responsible for the direct supervision of children and/or vulnerable persons will be required, in addition to a Police Records Check, to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening Report at the time of hire.
Nature & Scope:
The School Age Child Care Float Staff will work on an on-call basis and will assist the centre team in the planning and implementation of a before and after school program that meets the developmental needs of children 3.8 - 12 years of age, while adhering to the YMCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act. School Age Child Care Float Staff are responsible for the supervision of children at all times during program to ensure the health and safety needs of all are met.
Since the program takes place in a shared space, this individual maintains and fosters good relationships with school personnel, parents and other staff to promote the program within the community.
- This position requires the ability and flexibility to work a split shift (before and after school hours);
- Program areas are based on shared space within the school and may not be dedicated space, therefore, requiring movement/set up of equipment on a daily/weekly/ monthly basis
- Must be familiar with the developmental needs of children ranging from ages 3.8 to 12 years
- Assist in the planning, organizing, and leading activities for children 3.8 to 12 years of age to meet the developmental needs of children. Program numbers range from 10 to 90 children in attendance. Programming for low enrolment is as equally challenging as programming for higher participant enrolments;
- Ensure the health and safety of the children is maintained at all times;
- Utilizes appropriate behaviour guidance techniques in all interaction with the children;
- Must have knowledge of potential hazards and the ability to put a preventative plan in place;
- Required to assume leadership in the absence of the supervisor;
- Float staff are not guaranteed shifts but are expected to be available for a minimum of two afternoon shifts a week
- Required to maintain ongoing communication with their coach in order to be scheduled and/or receive shifts from regular part time staff
- Completion of High School education or equivalent
- A minimum of one year work/volunteer experience with children/youth
- Current Standard First Aid and Infant/Child CPR & AED certification Level C
- 18 years of age or older
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Computer knowledge
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the Mission, Vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Child & Youth Focused
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth
Planning and Organization
Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term work goals.
Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the YMCA.
Relationship building and collaboration
Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
Creativity and Innovation
Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve desired results.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is an equal opportunity employer.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford encourages employees within the Association, as well as those employed within the Canadian YMCA/YMCA-YWCA Federation to submit their application.
Please note that in so doing, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford reserves the right to contact the applicable YMCA or YMCA-YWCA for purposes of seeking an employment reference throughout the recruitment process.
Please ensure that prior to submitting your application that you have disclosed to your current supervisor, your intention to submit your application. By submitting your application, you understand and agree to allow the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford to contact your current Association.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your letter of application and resume attention: email@example.com
*Please indicate which location you are applying to (Hamilton, Burlington, or Brantford)
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Name of Contact or Department: