April 15, 2020
– With people across communities doing their part to stay home and help flatten the curve, the YMCA of Hamilton|Burlington|Brantford announced the launch today of their first Virtual YMCA; ywearehere.ca
. Fully accessible and free to the community, the Virtual Y brings YMCA programs and services directly to people from the convenience of their homes.
The website includes a collection of YMCA resources designed to support people of all ages and abilities in spirit, mind and body including free
- Fitness classes for adults, children and seniors
- Learning resources and children’s activities from YMCA Child Development experts
- Wellness supports including guided meditations and self-care resources
- YMCA employment services and immigrant services information
- As well as a collection of the YMCAs’ favourite free online resources including virtual tours, music and cooking classes.
“Our collective efforts to help stop the spread of COVID-19 come with added social isolation for many people right now. The fact is this can be even more challenging for individuals and families facing financial challenges,” said Jim Commerford, President & CEO, YMCA of Hamilton|Burlington|Brantford. “At the Y, we’ve always been committed to connecting people to their communities Our Virtual Y is part of our COVID-19 response effort at the YMCA and a means for us to give back to our communities in some small way.”
In addition to the Virtual Y, the YMCA of Hamilton|Burlington|Brantford is now offering YMCA employment and immigrant settlement services via phone or online via YtoWork.ca
as well as supporting the 170+ local men at-risk, living at their Men’s Residence within the Hamilton Downtown YMCA.
While the Virtual Y already includes dozens of free fitness classes and children’s activities, the YMCA will continue to add new content and resources over the coming days and weeks.
Kyla Kumar, Vice President
Marketing & Communications