Why YMCA Day Camps?
YMCA Core Values
The YMCA is committed to teaching and reinforcing the core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington builds developmental assets. The Search Institute has identified 40 developmental assets that youth need to succeed. Throughout the brochure, you will see how YMCA Day Camps support these assets in children and youth. You can get more info on our website - www.ymcahbb.ca - or go directly to the Search Institute's website at http://www.search-institute.org/
Day Camp Objectives
YMCA Day Camp experiences are grounded in a set of objectives that characterize YMCA programs:
1) To help children grow personally: YMCA Day Camps build self-esteem and self-reliance. Youth engaged in the day camp program gain a greater sense of their own self-worth and learn to treat themselves and others with respect.
2) To help children learn values: The YMCA core values are essential for character development. At the YMCA Day Camps, children learn to define and demonstrate the core values.
3) To help children appreciate diversity: YMCA Day Camps teach campers to respect people of different ages, abilities, incomes, races, religions, cultures, and beliefs. The Day Camp environment is fostered to appreciate and celebrate diversity.
4) To help children become better leaders: Campers learn the give-and-take necessary to work toward the common good.
5) To help children learn specific skills: Diverse activities help campers acquire new knowledge and ways to grow in spirit, mind, and body.
6) To help children have fun: Fun and humour are essential qualities of the day camping experience and contribute to youth feeling good about themselves and others.
The benefits of YMCA Day Camp
Opportunity for growth in spirit, mind and body
Wide variety of fun activities
Emphasis on fun, physical activity, learning and social development
Safe and caring environment
Trained, quality staff
Opportunity to learn from play
Age/ability appropriate activities